Hollow man you stand there in your hollowness
A shell of a man
Your clothes disheveled and hair tousled
Are you distraught?
Hollow man, but I see you
You stand tall and strong underneath those ragged clothes
Your eyes are deep and fixed straight ahead in front of you
What do you see?
The people pass you by dressed in fine linens and smelling of perfume
But you don’t see them
Do you stand there longing?
Longing of when you had a wife and children to come home to
Sipping liquid courage in front of your fire place to face the wrath of the cruel world
Or have you never lie beside a woman to caress your stress away?
No, there is no longing. You are fixed.
Fixed on being hollow
Your big dark eyes have depth that stretch beyond my insignificant glance
A piercing violent odor of urine permeates my nostrils as I pass you by
Will you continue to stand?
Your feet are of concrete blending into the platform
You stand fixed in your hollowness.
A statue of present time
RY
Did you have anyone in particular in mind when you wrote this?
ReplyDeleteYes... I saw (what I assume is) a homeless guy standing by the turn style as I was exiting the subway on my way to class and something about his blank stare towards the tracks caught my eye. He wasn’t there after class. Just left an impression…
ReplyDelete